Rin's Writing

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rin's Writing

Post by Abby on Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:48 pm

Hey guys! I don't have fanfiction but I do have short stories I'll post here occasionally.

I submitted the first piece I had posted here to a contest so, it's been removed!

Last edited by Abby on Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removed the story)
Abby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rin's Writing

Post by Abby on Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:34 pm

The first in a series of Christmas stories starring our characters. Zero used with the gracious permission of Red!
---
Belong

She sat at the bar and did her best to act like she belonged there.

It was still early in the day – early enough that her mother still slept under a fine coat of frost and Gotham was enveloped in fog. The low clouds shielded the city from the sun; or perhaps it was the other way around. There was no telling with places like Gotham, she realized.

She wound her scarf tighter around her neck, worried the cold had chased her inside. She felt it on her skin like an additional layer of clothing. Half of her was dying: the chill made the leaves stop sprouting and the hyacinths shrivel off her body. Every other season she belonged to the Green, but, in the winter, she belonged to humanity. She belonged to herself.

Hyacinthe smiled. She tapped on the counter once. The hulking shadow in the corner shifted in response, revealing itself to be a disgruntled young man.

The bartender looked at her with a mix of amusement and boredom. He had a shaggy mop of dirty blonde hair. His broad frame was lost under a blue trench coat a few sizes too large and his eyes disappeared behind his bangs. He grinned at her like he had just found a child with her hands in the cookie jar.

“Bit young for the bar, ain't ya?” he said.

“Bit small for your coat, aren't you?” she replied. He laughed.

Hyacinthe was washed over with relief; she hadn't spoken to many people outside of the Park, and it was comforting to know her meager social skills weren't totally useless. Talking to the bartender would be a good test, she decided.

He waved a hand at the array of bottles behind the bar. “What'll you have, dollface?” he asked.

Dollface?

Was it normal to use pet names for strangers? She wasn't sure, so she ignored it in favor of browsing the drinks. She wrinkled her nose at the idea of hard liquor –  most of it burned her throat and left bitterness on her tongue for hours. Fruity drinks weren't a favorite either. She wanted something warm and sweet.

“What do you recommend?” she finally asked, shifting her attention back to the bartender.

He quirked an eyebrow before looking her up and down. She tightened her scarf, face flushing under his scrutiny. “For you, I'd say...” He turned around, skimming the shelves before grabbing a slim brown bottle. “A hot chocolate. What do ya think?” He spoke over his shoulder.

She nodded, “That sounds perfect, thank you.”

He clamored around, an artist in his studio. He picked up bottles and shakers, glancing at her between movements.

“So, you from around here?” he asked.

“Sort of,” she said, squeezing her hands together. “I grew up a little outside of Gotham. Never spent much time in the city itself.”

He gave a low whistle. “Didn't know there were parts of Gotham that aren't city.”

“You'd be surprised,” she said. She could see the sprawling woods of Gotham City Park in her mind, the green stretching for miles, cracking the concrete and overtaking the fences. She saw herself vaulting the fence in the dim morning light.

She shifted her gaze from the counter to him. “What about you?” she said. “Are you from around here?”

He shrugged, adding a swirl of whip cream to the top of a white mug. “Came to town a few months ago,” he said. “Don't really know the city that well myself yet.”

He set the mug in front of her and continued, “Hot chocolate with cinnamon and vanilla, topped with whipped cream.”

She hadn't had anything so luxuriously sweet since her last trip with her aunt Harley. It must have shown on her face because he chuckled. “Tastes just as good as it sounds, if you want to actually try it now,” he said

She rolled her eyes but couldn't help smiling. Despite his appearance, the bartender was proving to be kind and humorous. She took a sip of the chocolate, feeling the warmth seep into her fingers through her gloves. The sweetness lingered on her tongue while heat pooled in her stomach, flushing the chill from her bones. She hummed with pleasure. “Thank you, um - ?”

“Matt.”

“Hyacinthe.”

He leaned against the counter, crossing his arms and looking down at her. He was closer now – she could see the blue of his eyes and the light  freckles on his nose. She blushed. If he noticed, he didn't say anything. “That's different,” he said. “Any reasoning for it?”

“Mom wanted a little flower,” she said, shrugging.

“Cute,” he said. “Bit of a mouthful, though – mind if I call you Cynth?”

She had never had a nickname before. Unless “brat” counted. She took another sip of her drink and pretended to deliberate the matter, before nodding in approval. “That's fine.”

He smiled, and she could see how his eyes crinkled up at the corners. “Well, Cynth,” he said, “Got anything planned for the holiday?”

“Holiday?”

The only holidays she knew were birthdays and the first day of spring. Winter was a sad time in the Park. Everything froze over, nothing new could grow, and the ground became ice. Celebrating this time of death and decay was nonsense.

But you're not in the Park, she reminded herself. Things were different beyond the fence. Her throat tightened as she realized she may have made a mistake in questioning him. He would know she was different. He would know she didn't belong.

Matt furrowed his eyebrows. “Christmas,” he said. “Or Hanukkah, Kwanza – whatever you celebrate.”

Her blood ran cold. She had definitely missed a cue there; mother would give her poor marks for blending in. Could she salvage the conversation?

She bowed her head, staring into her mug. “Oh, my family isn't very...celebratory,” she confessed.

His disbelief was palpable. “Nothing? Not a single year?” he asked. He let out a deep breath, shaking his head. “Christ. How far out of the city do you live?”

She slapped a five onto the counter and hopped off the bar stool. He was asking too many questions. She had mess up. He was going to figure her out, she thought, her heart racing. She had to get out before he said anything more.

“Far,” she said, trying to sound annoyed so he wouldn't pursue her further. “In fact, I better head out now so I can get home in time.”

“Hey, hey,” he raised his hands in surrender, backing off the counter. “I didn't mean to offend you.”

She slowed her retreat, taking her time adjusting her gloves. She wanted to tell Matt that he hadn't said anything wrong, that it was her who messed up, But there wasn't time for that. She kept her eyes down as though the act of flexing her fingers took all her focus.

“You didn't even finish your drink,” he said.

“Too sweet,” she lied.

She heard the clink of glass and turned around. He was pouring her drink into a to-go cup, an apologetic look on his face. He held it out to her.

“Sorry,” he said, running his free hand through his hair. He pushed back his bangs and she could see a touch of pink in his cheeks. “I just – I don't have plans for the holiday. If you're interested, we could spend a totally regular, not holiday day together.”

It was her turn to look confused. “A totally regular not holiday day,” she repeated.

“Yeah,” he shook the drink in front of her, dangling it like a treat. “Consider it me making this up to you.”

She looked from the cup to him and back. He seemed sweet enough. And, she reasoned, it would be a great opportunity to expand her social skills where today had been a total failure. A shot at redemption. Yeah. That's it.

She reached for the cup. “Okay.”

He grinned. “It's a date, dollface.”

“It's a date.” She held his gaze for a moment, and he winked. She couldn't help laughing.

Maybe, she thought, she could belong here.
Abby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Abby on Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:45 pm

A little late, but another Christmas story. Maru and Luna used with Shadow's gracious permission!
---
Reaching

“If you keep on like that, you will wear a rut in the floor.”

Astro ignored his scaly companion. He paced the room again, wringing his hands through his hair. He glanced at the clock – it was a quarter past eight. She still hadn't emerged from her room. He swallowed hard, suspecting her anger hadn't cooled.

“Oh, for the love of!” If he could have, Maru would have rolled his eyes. Unfortunately for him, his snake form did not grant him such luxuries. He hissed when his words failed him. With Astro, he found that happened surprisingly often.

Their small apartment had been transformed. The couches -which were more patches and air than cloth and stuffing – had been refurbished with a bit of the blonde's magic. The coffee table had a shiny finish again. The dining room table had been cleaned and set for three with a delicate white tablecloth. The wallpaper restored to dazzling bright colors and the wooden floor shined like fine porcelain.

But he hadn't stopped there.

Banners of paper snowflakes hung wall to wall, crisscrossing the living room so it was impossible to traverse without being reminded of the winter wonderland. A tree as tall as Astro was stood in front of the coffee table, covered in glowing balls of light and decorated with loops of tinsel. It filled the air with the scent of fresh pine; the needles had already begun piling on the swept floor. On the wall he had hung three stockings – one purple, one green and one yellow. They bulged with the promise of sweets. Last of all was a small white box with a bow, sitting on the table.

He had prepared it all for her, and she was nowhere to be found.

The blond shoved his hands in his pockets, for lack of anything else to do with them, and shifted his attention to the snake. Before, he had never known how smug a reptile could look, or that they could at all, but it seemed to be Maru's default expression.

“If you would please, Maru,” Astro said, gesturing to the girl's door.

Maru cocked his head to the side. “I would not, child.” The snake shut his eyes and for a sliver of a second, Astro saw it. A slim shimmering chain that ran from Maru's tail straight through the wall to Luna's room; lime green light emanated from the cracks in the steel. He blinked and it disappeared.

The chains between a familiar and master. Astro glanced down at his wrists and, when he squinted, he could see handcuffs in blue, binding him but not connecting him. His bond was different from Maru's. He was a servant bound to a master, whereas Maru had become an extension of Luna.

“She feels remorse for scolding you,” Maru said, opening his eyes. “It is best you coax her out.”

“Thank you, Maru.”

Astro took a deep breath. He knocked on her door twice. “Miss Matsuda?” he said. “I'm sorry if I offended you earlier.”

There was a rustling noise behind the door. The sound of shuffling feet.

“I didn't realize your...stature was such a sensitive subject,” he continued. “Please come out.”

The door clicked open. She peered up at him, face flushed. Her hair was somewhat disheveled, stray strands poking out from the sides her her dark blue bandanna. She glanced at Maru, who ducked his head as though to sleep, before returning her attention to Astro. He smiled at her. She looked to the ground and shifted her weight from foot to foot. When at last she spoke, her voice was soft.

“I'm not short,” she said.

“I know, Miss.”

“I would rather you not say that again.”

“Never again, Miss.”

He had grown fond of his master in their brief time together. She was an outsider to this world and he had agreed to be her guide. She spoke at a volume an elephant would strain to hear. Their conversations were punctuated with her questions about Earth and, when she learned something new, she lit up. He hoped she would now.

“Miss, if you please – I have a gift for you.” Astro stepped aside, allowing her a full view of the apartment. Her eyes trailed upwards from the floorboards. Her jaw dropped. His smile doubled in size when he saw how her eyes widened.

Her gaze bounced from the walls to the tables to the snowflakes and at last to the tree. She leaned over and squeezed his wrist. “What is all this?” she asked.

“Christmas,” Astro said. “It's an Earth holiday – technically, it was a few days ago, but it took me some time to get all this together without you knowing. I'm sorry for the wait -”

“I love it!” She jumped and clapped her hands. She walked to the center of the room and raised her arms, her fingertips grazing the bottom of the snowflakes. At 5'1 she was easily one of the tiniest people he had ever seen; she looked like a doll set under the tree, he thought.

“How does Christmas work?” she asked, inspecting the tree. She touched the gleaming ornaments and oohed at the dangling reindeer.

“Well, historically, it was a religious affair celebrating an important figure in Christianity,” he explained, beaming as he watched her explore the wonderland. “But in the modern day, it is more of an excuse to decorate and give gifts to friends and family.”

“Why a tree?” She scuffed her feet in the pine needles.

“A saint is supposed to come down and place gifts beneath it for good children,” he said. “Though, I didn't put your gift there.”

She turned around, her eyes darting to the gift box on the table. In the face of everything else, she had seen it but it hadn't registered in her mind. Her awe was replaced with concern.“I do not have anything for you, or Maru,” she said. “I did not know!”

Astro laughed. He moved to the table and presented the box to her. “Don't worry about it, miss,” he said. “Gifts aren't given with an expectation of something in return.”

Maru cleared his throat. “I require nothing,” he hissed. He slithered to the end of the table closest to the couple, settling into a coil and resting his eyes. He could sense the joy his master was radiating, could feel it in himself. He hadn't been pleased when she summoned Astro. But she was, and that was all he needed to know.

Astro pressed the box into Luna's hands. It was small, square and about the size of  She smiled at him and pulled the bow apart slowly. He helped her pull the top of the box off. Her search began in a mountain of tissue paper she systematically set aside.

It was a plastic yellow star that caught the light.

“Is...is this because your name means star?” she asked. “Are you giving me your house emblem?”

Color flooded Astro's cheeks. Her wide eyes made her look like a sweet, innocent doe. “No, no, it's uh, nothing like that,” he sputtered. “It goes on the top of the tree. It's, um, considered an honor, to do that.”

“Oh.”

She glanced at the tree. He watched her delicate features transform from joy to...sadness? He balked. “I wanted to get you something better,” he stammered. “There wasn't much time, and I wasn't sure what you liked, and I'm sorry if you don't like it - “

“It's not that.”

“What?”

She looked up at him, the light drained from her face. “It's a nice gift,” she said. “All of it.”

“Then what's wrong?” He asked, running his hands through his hair. She stared at the tree and whispered something. He stooped down to hear her.

“What?”

“...I can't reach it.”

“Reach what?”

She stared at him, her face flushing. She pointed at the tree, and then at herself. The tree, its top brushed the ceiling. Her, barely able to reach Astro's shoulders. He covered his mouth to stifle his laughter.

It didn't work.
Abby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow on Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:19 pm

I LOVE IT. LOVEEE IT WHOOOOT ABBY SENPAI!!
Shadow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Abby on Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:17 pm

^///^ Oh, you. *waves hands* Thank you Shad!
Abby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top