The Gotham City Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Megacon 2016 Meet Up

5 posters

Go down

Megacon 2016 Meet Up Empty Megacon 2016 Meet Up

Post by DegenerateDog Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:55 pm

Alright everyone!

This is a thread for all of us to congeal our plans/expenses/dates&times ect ect so on and so forth for the upcoming Megacon. While we are all very excited, we will need to plan out things like meet ups. Arrival times. Food and hotel costs. All this very tedious, but very important stuff.

Once everyone has shared their thoughts and requirements I will be organizing all the information. This is a group effort and everyone will be chipping in to make this shindig happen! Everyone's input is important! So please be honest and open about what you are (and are not) ok and or capable with/of!

OK! GO! GO! GO!
DegenerateDog
DegenerateDog
Admin

Back to top Go down

Megacon 2016 Meet Up Empty Re: Megacon 2016 Meet Up

Post by redeagle321 Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:18 pm

Simply some advice from someone who's done this 'con a dozen times. The 'con veterans will find this old news, but for the newbies;

1: Bring your own food. Unless 15$ for crappy pizza sounds fair to you.

2: Don't bring ANY cash you don't intend to spend. The dealer hall is MONSTROUS and you WILL want to buy things.

3: ONLY intend to spend cash- most of the vendors can't use debit/credit cards and the ATMs have fees for their fees.

4: If you don't do crowds well, then it's probably best for you to avoid the Saturday show- the Friday show is the most tame.

5: Parking ain't cheap! So either carpool, walk if the hotel is close enough (one on International Drive is ideal) or park at like a walgreens across the street.

6: Don't negotiate with the crazy little guy with the big Gundam display. You're wasting your breath.

7: The 501st display is AMAZING. It takes up like 1/3 of the hall and you WILL spend 3 hours there just gawking at Roxy the Rancor alone. And that's perfectly fine.

But yes, all of that aside, I DO intend to get a pass for all four days. Spend the majority with you guys, and then the at least one day with brothers/college buddies/my fiance. While I don't really need to take up more space in someone's hotel- I live only about a half hour away, after all- I won't object to bunking with y'all if the people demand it.
redeagle321
redeagle321

Back to top Go down

Post by Abby Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:25 pm

This is an overview of where I am CURRENTLY

Days: Friday and Saturday, subject to change.
Costs: Currently have enough for tickets alone, saving for gas and hotel.

Other Notes
- My parents are letting me go ONLY IF I can enlist 3 IRL friends to accompany me. I have one already and don't think I'll have trouble finding two others.
- I am going to try to go for four days.
- I am CONFIRMED cosplaying as Connie from Steven Universe if anyone is interested in coordinating costumes. There are six of us if we wanted to pull off the full Titans Team, eh, eh?
Abby
Abby

Back to top Go down

Post by Karmy Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:58 pm

Well I'll be out of school by then and if I give my job enough advanced notice it will be fine.

If we plan to do the whole 4 days, I can fly in thursday morning and leave sunday night, and I would need a ride those days to and from the airport. And the times would depend on my tickets of course which I have yet to buy, but I will post that information.

I am more than willing to help pay for any expenses, including food, hotel, gas, drinks, plane tickets for others.
Karmy
Karmy

Back to top Go down

Post by DegenerateDog Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:19 am

Alright! Glad to see everyone's basic plans laid out. I would very much like to go for the full 4-day ride. But since it might only be possible for Karm and Myself to show up later on Thursday, it may only be doable to go as a full group for fri-sun.

Karm:
I would suggest finding an airport that is as close to the Orange County Convention Center as possible. I was two hours away for my last visit and if we are going to get driven around (I am drivers licenseless) we need to make it as convenient as possible. I also did not realize how far away May was and may have prematurely freaked out over travel expenses. Mea culpa~

Now I am looking at hotels at this very moment and one of the best locations is the Red Roof Hotel. I stayed in it last time and it is quite literally a five minute walk away from the Con and it's only $100 a night.

My one concern about that is we should DEFINITELY book it now. But how this is going to have to go down is, one person who has the funds is going to have to pay four our two rooms, and everyone is going to have to chip in to pay them back. We will also need to get rooms right next to each other as there are doors between the rooms that can be opened so that we can all be in one huge double room instead of separated.

We need to do this as soon as possible, because that Hotel was booked full my last visit. It is a cheap little hotel, but it was clean and the staff didn't bother you too much.

As far as cosplay goes (don't make me pull out my Jasper, Abby!) That is another expense entirely, and while I don't mind brushing off my Catwoman costume, just remember if you don't manage to make a costume in time for the con. Don't sweat it! I personally would like to go as Captain Cold, and this means I will also probably be sewing up a costume for Mercy as well. A Heatwave costume. IDGAF!

As far as food goes. There are restaurants and a Walgreens and a few other little convenient stores around the Red Roof hotel.Someone who lives in the Florida could supply a cooler and we can all chip in to feed everyone in the rooms.

As far as eating at the con goes, I would suggest feeding yourself before hand and only bringing small snacks. Bring backpacks that can hold whatever goodies you get. Anyway, as your status progresses please update here on the thread. We can coordinate cosplay. We can coordinate pick up and drop off times. Yadda Yadda.

Good morning btw :>
DegenerateDog
DegenerateDog
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karmy Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:35 am

So who's actually going to be staying in the hotel room? It looks like Abs is getting one from her parents and Red lives really close. I would really like red to join us in the hotel room but if you're comfortable staying at your folks that's fine. If we just need one for Mame, Merc and I, that'd be ok too
Karmy
Karmy

Back to top Go down

Post by Abby Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:03 pm

I don't think I'd be sharing a room with you guys, sorry! I think I could manage hanging out with you guys for a night, but my parents are pretty adamant about me staying with people they've met before.

I will, however, try to book a room in the same hotel as y'all so we can meet up for continental breakfasts and walk over and all that. And we have a cooler I'd gladly lend to you for the weekend!

Minor updates for me:
Days:Thursday - Sunday.
Abby
Abby

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercy Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:31 pm

Yay! Okay Abs is going!

And I think Red lives close to the convention center, but not that close, right? I think We could get a suite, the two rooms like Mame suggested and we can split the cost. I can order the rooms now if everyone is in agreement. Though wouldn't that be like $800?

Two rooms for $100 a night for 4 nights split between 4 people is $200 a person.
Mercy
Mercy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by redeagle321 Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:39 pm

For Karm, the best airport would be OIA, the Orlando International Airport. It's really busy- especially recently due to construction- but it's barely half an hour from international drive, and thus the convention hall area. Work permitting, I don't mind giving you a lift to/from the airport.

On that note, I HAVE requested the time off from Publix and since I've asked this far in advance i'm pretty sure about my odds of getting the time. HOWEVER, I have a significant volume of professional job applications floating around, and changing jobs will undoubtedly compound the issue. If anything changes, I will be sure to inform you guys ASAP.

Also, while I DO live in the area, popular demand seems to be that I stay with you guys. I'd love -LOVE- to do it, but I have to come clean that my ass is REALLY broke right now- I've been pouring every spare cent I have into paying off student debts I want out of my hair before the end of the year, and it'll take me a while to scrape up a spare 200 bucks. It's doable, but not in the immediate future is all i'm saying.

The short version; I'm on board now, but there is a slight chance of rain.

Oh, and if anyone has any questions about the Orlando area, I can most likely answer it or find someone who can!
redeagle321
redeagle321

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercy Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:01 am

Oh wait, so how close are you to the con, Red? I mean yeah it would be great if you could stay with us, but if it's not financially possible, we understand. We still expect to see and hang out with you!

Maybe we should all arrive a day early to hang out?
Mercy
Mercy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by redeagle321 Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:23 pm

Just a little progress report, Work has confirmed my time off for all four days of Megacon! w00t!

And I live about 30-45 minutes from the convention hall (closer to an hour or more if the traffic is rough- and with an event as big around here as Megacon it probably will be.) BUT I would love to find a way to scrape up enough cash to join you guys- partly because of the aforementioned traffic. That being said, it WILL take me a while to get that much cash together- late January at the EARLIEST. (Broke red is broke.)
redeagle321
redeagle321

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercy Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:13 am

Awesome! Lets cross our fingers on that, I know the holidays are coming around and you gotta get gifts for family and friends, so I understand if it may take a while.

So a little idea I had guys, Megacon is the 26th-29th, and Batman V Superman comes out the 25th. Do you see. Where I'm going. With this?
Mercy
Mercy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abby Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:36 pm

YES MERC

I say we go Thursday (the 26th) because the Con is only four hours that day (Noon - 4pm) so we could catch a later showing!
Abby
Abby

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercy Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:29 pm

Ahahhaaha we have to go and reserve seats if we're going to see it! Just to make sure we don't get seats in the corner in front of a wall or on the floor. That'd suck.
Mercy
Mercy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abby Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:11 pm

"Ah, yes, sir, I'd like to reserve a seat."

"Of course. When? Friday, for Star Wars?"

"No, no, Thursday. For Batman vs Superman."

"That's not out ye-"

"Batman. May 26th. Center row."

Joking aside, reserving seats at least a month in advance is kind of a fantastic idea.
Abby
Abby

Back to top Go down

Post by Karmy Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:33 pm

I'd say reserve it as soon as tickets are available
Karmy
Karmy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercy Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:10 am

Yeah, we'll keep an eye on it!
Mercy
Mercy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DegenerateDog Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:52 am

Everyone!

For some reason Merc and I were under the impression that Megacon was taking place in March (As it did in 2015) and were planning events based on that!

The Batman v. Superman movie comes out in March and will mostly likely not be out for all of us to see together. Sad times for us silly Admins who didn't squint hard enough at the website to see the dates properly. (Mostly my fault actually~)

That being said, Merc and I were considering not doing cosplay because we thought we had less time than we actually do! Cosplay may happen yet~

This just means we all have more time to save up money. which'll be very nice since I have saved up zilch and have yet to buy tickets for the plane or the con :>
DegenerateDog
DegenerateDog
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by redeagle321 Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:35 pm

UPDATE!!

I have my student debts paid off [MUCH CHEERING!!!] and am well on my way now to saving up the moolah I need to pay for a ticket and a room, and hopefully some $$$ to spend whilst i'm there!

AND IMPORTANTLY
I am all too happy to give any of you a ride to and from the airport! That being said I DO need to know times and so forth, so as soon as anyone that's flying in gets an itinerary, just let me know at your earliest convenience and i'll make extra sure to have the time and be there!

P.S: If the Shad were to post a wish list for her Megacon care package, that would be most excellent!
redeagle321
redeagle321

Back to top Go down

Post by Karmy Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:42 pm

Once my tax return comes in I'll be able to buy my tickets!
Karmy
Karmy

Back to top Go down

Post by redeagle321 Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:41 pm

Awesome! We got Karmy in the house, yo!
redeagle321
redeagle321

Back to top Go down

Post by redeagle321 Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:26 pm

MEGACON UPDATE!

Adam West, Burt Ward, and Stan Lee will all be appearing at Megacon this year, so rev up your nerd engines, folks!
redeagle321
redeagle321

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercy Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:45 am

Ah geez, I'm upset I won't have anything for any of them to sign.
Mercy
Mercy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by redeagle321 Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:08 pm

Megacon is getting closer and closer, folks! I think April 14th- one week from tomorrow- everyone that's going should meet up on the CB to finalize plans and get hotels and junk taken care of. Time is QUICKLY running out for all of that- hotels especially- and i'd love for us to be on the same page and do everything we want to!
redeagle321
redeagle321

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercy Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:46 pm

Yeah, we got some hotel reservations already. I have yet to buy tickets ;-;

We need to talk planes and stay overs and whatnot still, what days we're going and whatnot. But I'm down to get on the CB any time to talk about it.
Mercy
Mercy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum